A passport is a legally binding document provided by a government that identifies the holder as a citizen of the country in which the passport was issued and allows them to travel. The people who receive passports are typically citizens of the country that issues them.
Regional Passport Offices (RPO) and Passport Seva Kendras are responsible for distributing passports in India. Passports are issued by the Ministry of External Affairs on behalf of the Indian government (PSK).
Thanks to the shortened procedures needed to obtain a passport, there is now a shorter waiting period and a more streamlined application procedure.
Online passport applications have just recently become accessible in an effort to decrease the number of people applying for passports in person at RPO and PSK offices, as well as to provide applicants with a more convenient option.
Residents of Delhi may apply for passports online.
Residents of Delhi may apply for passports online by completing the steps in the following process:
● Register for an account on the Ministry of External Affairs' Passport Seva website. You can access the website by clicking this link.
● Go to the website's home page after logging in, then select the "Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-Issue of Passport" link.
● After finishing the online form, click the "submit" button.
● Once the form has been submitted, click the "Pay and Schedule Appointment" link under the "View Saved/Submitted Applications" page.
● Once you've selected a time for your appointment and paid the processing fee, the transaction will be finished (through online banking, SBI challan, debit card, or credit card).
● When you've scheduled a time, go to the "Make Application Receipt" link and select that button to print a copy of the confirmation. The receipt will be printed with the application reference number.
● On the day of your scheduled visit, go to the PSK/RPO and turn in the documents and your application receipt.
● Once the verification process has been successfully completed, the passport will be available for pick up personally.
How to Apply for a Passport at a Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office in Delhi?
Historically, Regional Passport Offices have been in charge of issuing and processing passport applications (RPO). To relieve some of the load on these offices, Passport Seva Kendras (PSK) was set up to handle the processing of passport applications and the issuance of passports.
Unless an application fits into a category that the RPO regularly handles, it cannot generally be routed to RPOs.
In a few unique situations, RPOs are allowed to issue standard passports in addition to their specialized ones. The strategy that should be applied in this case is as follows:
A Passport Seva form may be purchased at the RPO or PSK or downloaded from the website.
Complete the form, then send it to the RPO along with the necessary paperwork and the appropriate processing money.
An acknowledgment of receipt for the application will be sent through email, along with a file number that can be used to check the status of the application on the Passport Seva website.
Once the verification process has been successfully completed, the passport will be available for pick up personally at the RPO.
In most ways, the steps required to apply for a passport at a PSK are the same as those stated in the section prior to this one. One must schedule an appointment before going to a PSK in order to turn in the paperwork and pay the charge.